Places of interest

You are here: Home  > Places of interest

Showing 10 from 16 Items
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    "Ancha" Street

    To the north of the Plaza de los Naranjos is Ancha street. During the XVI century the growth of Marbella outside the walled vicinity becomes evident, in northerly direction, until reaching the Santo Cristo hermitage and the San Francisco convent, in what was originally called the Barrio Alto (Upper Quarter) or Barrio de San Francisco. […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Dept. Culture - Archeological collection

    In Altamirano Square, in the Dept. of Culture’s central office, set up in a 16th century restored building, we find the local Archeological Collection that holds a magnificent exhibition of the archeological discoveries in Marbella and its surroundings. Among others, Río Verde’s Roman Villa, the Vega del Mar Palaeochristian Basilica, the Roman Baths, the city […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    "Santo sepulcro" chaptel

    Being built in 1994 on the adjoining site of the Bazán Hospital, and dedicated to the Cristo de la Buena Muerte (Christ of the Good Death) and Ntra. Señora de las Lágrimas (Our Lady of the Tears) of the brotherhood with the same name. The throne, dating back to 1705 according to documents of that […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    "La Alameda" park

    The Alameda Park has always been Marbella`s pride. This large green area, the city lung, dates back to the 18th century and in its best time it spread over an area of 20,000 sq meters (20% of the city centre), which boundaries were: to the East, del Mar avenue; to the West, Miguel Cano avenue, […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    "Los Naranjos" square

    After recapturing the city from the Moors, the Christians took the urbanistic task of building up what was to be the urban and social centre of the town: The Plaza de los Naranjos which was the city’s key point and the noble zone of social life. Apart from the Hermitage or Santiago and the Town […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    "Santo Cristo" hermitage

    Following calle Ancha towards the North, we find the Santo Cristo chapel. It was built in the second half of the XVI century as part of the old Franciscan Convent. It is one of the oldest temples of the town. Its construction dates back to the XVI century. It consists of one sole nave and […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    "San Juan de Dios" Chapel

    Currently known as the “Hospitalillo” it was built by order of the Catholic Monarchs, due to which it held the title of “Royal Hospital of Mercy”. The so-called Royal Mercy, thereafter San Juan de Dios (Saint John of God) was alone in its purpose of providing hospital assistance in Marbella until the creation of the Bazán […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    "De Santiago" hermitage

    The Santiago Hermitage is the oldest Christian parish church in Marbella. It was a mosque, consecrated after the Reconquest. In 1505 the Archbishop of Sevilla denominated it a Parish and it retained that status until approximately XVII C. when it acquired the category of hermitage. It is a simple construction, with one sole nave, and […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    The "Real de la misericordia" hospital

    Since the Saint John of God Hospital was founded by the Catholic kinas it is entitled to carry the Word “Royal” in its name. In the document of that healing it is quoted as Royal Hospital for the healing of foreigners, thus, we may assume by the granted title it had to be an important […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Town hall or Consistorial house

    During the first few years of the Reconquest, the main concern was to reinforce the security measures of the town (reform the castle, increasing the provision of soldiers and the wall which surrounded the town) due to the danger still presented by the uprising of the moors. This is the reason why, until half a […]